Sanford Housing Society (SHS) seeks a strategic thinker with proven leadership skills to lead our respected and dynamic housing society into the next phase of its growth.
For over 30 years, SHS has specialized in housing development and property management for people with mental health and/or substance use challenges, partnering with others who provide support to tenants. The Society also operates a separate nonprofit entity, Sanford Affordable Housing Society, as well as a social enterprise, Sanford Property Management. The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and is responsible for the successful leadership and management of three organizations.
This person has the ability to motivate staff and to sustain good relationships with partners in a challenging environment of shifting political and funding realities. This is a fantastic opportunity to fill a role that directly affects one of our most prominent social issues – providing housing to those in need.
Areas of Responsibility
The successful candidate will oversee all aspects of SHS success by delivering outstanding results in the following areas:
- Leadership: Fostering a team, an environment and a community that enables people experiencing mental health or substance use challenges, poverty or other forms of marginalization to live with dignity and independence by providing quality affordable housing. Externally, maintaining positive relationships with funders and other organizations or partners that support our mission.
- Operational planning and management: Overseeing and directing day-to-day operations of SHS. Identifying and pursuing opportunities for housing development that further the Society’s mission, mandate and Board priorities.
- Financial planning and management: Working with the Director of Finance to create budgets, administer funds, monitor monthly cash flow and expenditures, and prepare proposals and reports.
- Risk management: Identifying, evaluating and mitigating risks to the organization’s people (clients, staff, management), property, finances, goodwill and reputation.
Key strategic responsibilities include:
- Working closely with the Board to develop a vision and strategic plan to guide the organization, along with an operational plan that fulfils the Society’s mission
- Establishing strong partnerships with service providers, government agencies, politicians, funders and other stakeholders that support the organization’s goals.
- Continuing to build and develop a highly effective team of staff who are aligned with our goals and objectives
- Identifying and pursuing opportunities for housing development
A full role description is can be found HERE
Starting salary range is $109-$120K In addition to salary, SHS offers an excellent benefits package, including pension plan, extended health, dental, short and long term disability, Employee and Family Assistance program.
We thank all applicants, but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. All Sanford employees are required to successfully complete a criminal record check for working with vulnerable populations.
Qualified candidates must submit a resume and detailed cover letter by Monday, October 11, 2021. Resumes and cover letters may be sent to: ED@sanfordhs.ca